October 24, 2006 (MTC)
Life goes on, slowly but surely, here at the MTC. It’s very difficult to not get impatient here. The days are slow, the weeks are fast, but no matter how much time goes by, December 19th seems eternally far away. I’m spending 1/6th of my mission in the MTC, which should tell me how important this preparation time is, but still I’m having a hard time staying focused. I am learning to rely on the Lord and trying to be more diligent.
Every Sunday night after devotional they show a number of church films and broadcasts. They also show previous devotionals given at the MTC by visiting apostles. Rather than go see Legacy and deal with all the elders who wig out at the kissing parts, Sister Balli and I go to see these past devotionals and so far every one has just been amazing. This past Sunday we saw Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s devotional address from last April. He said, “Accept and claim your challenges as a sort of treasure hunt for the qualities that will become your greatest strengths.” Wow. I’m trying to take that to heart and see my struggles more as opportunities than stumbling blocks.
They really know how to take care of the sisters here. Everyone opens doors for us; we get $2.00 more a week on our debit card than the elders; and we get to hear AMAZING speakers every week in Relief Society. My first week we had Sheri Dew. Sheri Dew. After that I thought we’d be hearing from the MTC president’s wife for the next couple of weeks, having used up all of our Cool Guest Speaker points (I take that back – the MTC president’s wife is AWESOME). But the next week, we had ELAINE S. DALTON, counselor in the General Young Women’s Presidency! Amazing! Where do you go from there? How do you follow that up? Well apparently what you do is have President Hinckley’s daughter, Virginia Pearce, come speak the next week. Once again, amazing. The best part was after the meeting we got to meet her. As Sister Balli and I approached her she said, “And what is this ridiculous language here on your name tag?” I said, “Mongolian, and you’re right. It is rather ridiculous.”
We taught the first lesson in Mongolian last Thursday. 40 minutes in a room with 5 Mongolians was kind of intimidating, but we did it. The Mongolians were so nice. They coached us through some of the words we were butchering, and they tried to talk slower for us. We’re teaching the same lesson this Thursday, but we can’t have note cards, and we have to ask questions with more than a yes or no answer. This is what I’m most nervous about because, as Sister Infanger says, when Mongolians speak they sound like they’re talking under-water, and we haven’t learned how to swim yet. The language is coming, though, and it’s actually kinda fun.
During culture hour this week the elders raised their hands right away and asked if Sister Marta would tell us the story of Axe Hero. Apparently they had heard about him from someone else, and they eagerly wanted to know more. Sister Marta obliged and began unfolding the thrilling tale of . . . an educated son of Mongolian nobility who studied in Russia and decided to help bring communism to Mongolia. As she told us all this the elders’ faces became less and less excited and at the end one of them asked, “So where does the ‘Axe’ part come in?” Sister Marta looked confused for a second, then she said, “Oh – That’s just the name his parents gave him.” The elders were hilariously disappointed, but Sister Marta accidentally made it up to them by mentioning that there are wild tigers in Mongolia. They haven’t stopped talking about it since.
I saw Brother and Sister Gribbin yesterday! It was totally unexpected but really exciting. Seeing people you know from outside the MTC is like a breath of fresh air. They seem really excited to be here. I saw Brother Gribbin again last night as my companion and I were studying outside. We try to get out of the classroom as much as possible when we have MDT (Missionary Directed Time).
I’d like to take a moment to publicly thank everyone who has written to me here in the MTC. Proverbs 25:25, y’all look it up. And just in case you weren’t aware, there is this wonderful website called DearElder.com. You can write a letter to me there, and they deliver it that very same day! [email to Provo MTC is free, address the email to Sister Cheryl Johnson MTC Box #104, Mission: MON-ULA, Departure date:1219] Que exciting!
I’d also like to give a shout out to Jessica Hobbs & Sebastian Dunlap! I got your wedding announcement yesterday, and it made me so happy I started waving it around and showing everyone in my district. I’m so excited for you two!!! P.S. Who is your photographer? Your picture was GORGEOUS! Also, I don’t have either of your addresses, so you have to write to me so I can write to you.
Well, I’m off to do whatever it is I do on P-day. Thanks for all your support!
ЖОНСОН ЭГЧ


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home