April 20, 2007 - Trip to the Khuduu
It’s really hard to write these emails because usually the coolest things I do each week happen on Fridays right after I write you, so it’s hard to remember all the details. Anyway, last preparation day was way fun. Every week my companion and I say that we’re just going to relax and get things done and write letters on preparation day, but then what do you say when your district leader calls at 10:24 pm and says “Hey, we’re going to the khuduu tomorrow to see this huge statue of Chinggis on a horse and eat some meat. You in?”
We got two meekers and stuffed them full of missionaries and then headed out of the city. We made a stop to pick up the elders in Nalaik, which was cool because they don’t have sisters in that city, and I wouldn’t have ever had the chance to see it or to see the church building they have there. Then we drove to the middle of nowhere where they’re building this ridiculously huge statue of Chinggis riding on a horse, and we took a bazillion pictures. Then we drove a little bit further to see the remains of this movie set which was supposed to be a section of the Great Wall of China. It wasn’t that cool, but it was really fun to be with all the missionaries and I got to hang out and catch up with Sister Hunt.
Pic Notes: This is a big metal Chinggis-on-horse statue that they're building out in the middle of nowhere for no good reason. And who is building it, you might ask? The Russians. Communism kind of has a bad reputation, but if you let communists take over your country for a while they'll give you all kinds of neat statues! I guess this one is an apology statue for after the fact. Also, this is what is left of part of the set of this big Chinggis Khan movie that recently came out. It was put together about as well as our high school play sets, but we climbed to the top anyway.
After that we drove around a lot, heading for “a cool river and a rock,” which we never found, and then one of the meekers got stuck in some mud. We got it out, picked a random spot, built a fire, and then ate meat-on-sticks. It was really windy so Sister Hunt, Sister Baker and I just stayed in one of the meekers and talked. Some of the elders were thoughtful enough to bring us some food. They chatted with us for a little bit, but the girly, Sister-vibes made them uncomfortable, and they went back to the other elders who were busy throwing rocks at things. Silly elders!
We were supposed to be back by 2:30, so of course we roll in to UB at around 5:45 and then make a mad dash to get dressed and ready for the baptisms that we have at 6:00 every Friday night. None of our investigators were getting baptized that night, but we do have one tonight! And tomorrow this really great family we’ve been teaching goes in for their interviews. They have two gorgeous daughters who are also being interviewed, but before the interview, Sister Nergui and I are going with all our Young Women investigators to the main church building to watch Young Women’s Conference. It’s going to be really fun.
It was warming up before, but now the spring winds have arrived and it’s miserably cold once more. Plus, now there are dust storms. I don’t really know how to describe them, but if you’d like to get a better picture of what I’m talking about go watch The Mummy.
Yamar ch gesen, enjoy your own weather wherever you are and have a happy p-day!




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home