Friday, February 15, 2008

February 15, 2008 - Staying in Selenge

Hello Tanidag Khumuus!

Wow. Mongolian looks shaaaaaal teneg when you write it in the Roman alphabet.

Well, transfer calls came Thursday morning along with more than a few surprises. Elder Humphries, Elder Khosbayar and Sister Me are baij l baina here in Selenge, which we knew already, but what about Elder Humphries’ companion Elder Hardman? Well he’s making the big move all the way from the 4th Shar building across the square to the 5th Shar building to be companions with newly called branch president, Elder Khosbayar. So four of us will be sticking around for another transfer (I almost typed “semester!” Ah!).

President informed me in my interview last week that I would be training again, but when I got the official call yesterday morning he told me I would be companions with Sister Oyunbat, a sister who just started her mission with Sister Bayarmaa’s group. She’s a member of the Sukhbaatar Branch so I’ve known her for a while.

Then, most exciting of all, guess where Sister Bayarmaa’s going? PeacePeace Branch! Enkhtaivan, the branch that I was in before coming here. I was way more excited that she was and immediately gave her a list of names and phone numbers of people she has to check up on and send my mend. I apologize for all the Mongolian words, but it’s just a part of who I am now. It’s also probably how I’ll be talking once I get back so you all better just get used to it, za yuu?

Yesterday was Valentine’s Day! We talked about Valentine’s Day in my English classes, and I thought I would wow them with my knowledge of the original story of Saint Valentine. Actually my knowledge is pretty limited: There was this Valentine priest dude in Italy (baikhaa) who married people in secret when their families didn’t approve. First I asked if anyone knew the story behind the holiday and this one girl was like, “I do! I do! Okay! There once was a prince who was madly in love with the princess of the neighboring kingdom, but the two kingdoms were at war…”

She went on for 10 minutes about this CRAZY story with a gift and messengers and at one point it started to turn into Romeo and Juliet. Needless to say someone has been playing a mad game of “telephone” with the Valentine’s Day story here in Mongolia, but that’s okay. At least she didn’t tell that painfully LAME story about the boy and the bird and the red rose that comes up everywhere from English class to Sacrament meeting talks here in Mongolia. If I hear it one more time I’m going to have to kill something…or maybe just flick someone really hard on the forehead.

I hope you all had a happy Valentine’s Day, and Elizabeth, I hope you got lots of chocolate. Last year on Valentine’s Day I went out to the Mongolian Barbeque with Sister Hunt for a Brownie Blast. That seems so long ago.

If anyone is thinking about sending packages my way, big marshmallows are now in high demand. I shared the last package that El sent me with the branch members, and now we’re just clambering for more. We might even go roast some on a p-day…

It is starting to warm up, and by that I mean I don’t think we’ve reached 0 degrees yet but spring is in the air!

Khairtai Shuu!!!
-Sister Johnson

1 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister B-Johnson,
I am the worst former roommate of all time, and I know this. I keep planning on writing you a letter, but as we have already mentioned, I am lame. As a quick note, let me just tell you I'm now living in New York City, I've been wearing a back brace for a week due to some lingering problems from an infamous sledding accident I'm sure you'll remember, and I am soon starting a job where I'll be getting paid to travel. I promise a real letter soon! Thanks for thinking of me on Arizona Statehood Day!

Belizabeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home