Saturday, December 30, 2006

December 23, 2006 - I am in Mongolia!

I have arrived safely in Mongolia with all my limbs and luggage intact. We landed at Chingis Xaan international airport a little after 4:00 in the afternoon and after a few stressful moments handing our papers over to steely-eyed security people and getting our luggage from the cramped and dirty luggage claim area we finally were met by President Bryner, his wife, and a few missionaries. The first thing President Bryner said was to Sister Balli: "We gotta hurry up if we're going to make our tee time in an hour!" [Sister Balli played golf in college.] President Bryner is one big jokester, and you have to watch every word out of his mouth and make sure you don't take him too seriously.

As we were gathering together at the airport I felt a tug at my sleeve and turned to see a middle-aged Mongolian man. "You need taxi?" he said. I didn't know what to say, so I tried to get Sister Bryner's attention, but the man kept tugging on my sleeve and asking, "you need taxi?" All of a sudden he broke into perfect English and said, "I'm just kidding. I'm Brother Batboold. Welcome to Mongolia." Apparently you need a healthy sense of humor to serve in this country.

We spent the rest of Thursday and all of yesterday at the mission home. We got our new companions and assignments today. I'm with an American sister, Sister Hunt, from Taylorsville, UT and we will be serving in the Khailaact area of UB. She is just returning from 7 months in Choiblson, a small town way out in the country and is completely new to the area.

I am in a very bizzare country. The city is constantly covered in a thick smog because of all the coal burning that goes on in the winter. I can't even believe I'm here. I am healthy (so far) and happy, and I can't wait to talk to you on Christmas.

Marta Ekch, bi zuuger.
Inktanger Ekch, bi zuuger and Batboold says hi.

Love,
Sister Johnson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home