April 7, 2008 - Let Us All Press On
This whole mission thing is closing up way, way too rapidly, but I had a wonderful moment to reflect this past Friday. It was our first non P-day Friday (our mission just switched it to Mondays), and it felt reeeeeally good to just work all day. P-days are lame! Anyway, that night we had a baptism: a family! A really good family and the first family baptism in a while for our branch. Elder Khosbayar asked me in the middle of that day to give one of the talks that night. I knew I had no time to prepare. All the better.
I spoke about the Holy Ghost and how it would be a director in the family's lives from this day forth. I shared D&C 58:26 and talked about how God doesn't tell us how to apply the commandments in our lives, he just teaches us correct principles and expects us to govern ourselves with the aid of the gift of the Holy Ghost. I shared how I had to deal with not ever attending the Bannockburn May Fair when I was growing up because it always happened on Sunday. I realized when I was done that I hadn't been a bit nervous, I hadn't had to think twice about what to say, and that I did it in fluent Mongolian. I was filled with a spirit of gratitude.
Flashback: Photo of Cheryl reading her mission call to Mongolia just about 2 years ago. She had just said, "I didn't even know Mongolian was a language." You've come a long way baby, with the help of the Lord.
For the very last song someone requested "Let Us All Press On," which is a difficult song even in English and is one that the Mongolians NEVER sing. The intro played and then I dove right in to the first verse, using my years and years of singing the tune to strengthen my voice while trying to keep up tempo in Mongolian. It was apparent 5 seconds in, however, that nobody else was even trying to sing and there I was belting out a solo. Everyone started smiling, including me, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. You don't spend 5 months in Selenge Branch without becoming comfortable enough to laugh at yourself and sing solos at the same time. Luckily right then the family walked in. I finished off the first verse and sat down, pretending to glare at the rest of them for not singing with me.
I want to tell you right now that Heavenly Father answers prayers, and that if you want to see miracles all you have to do is ask for them. This past transfer I have been praying day and night for a miracle here in this branch. A few weeks ago we were having some trouble, all stemming from one big problem: the members weren't loving each other. I have shed not a few tears over these people, pleading with my Father in Heaven to bless them with charity, to forgive each other, and to please just get them to love each other. I didn't know what else I could do and I have just been praying and praying these last few weeks for some divine intervention.
Things started changing a few days ago. The baptism was one thing. The next day we did some service cleaning up trash in the neighborhood, and then Sunday I really noticed it. I can't tell you exactly what it is I noticed, but I just felt it all day long at church. There was just this deep spirit of love pervading the chapel and the classrooms that day. Part of it was the fact that three of our beloved branch members, branch missionaries, and friends were having their last Sunday at home before leaving on their missions. Everybody's testimonies were heartfelt and full of expressions of love for each other and for the truthfulness of the gospel.
My companion, who was teaching the gospel essentials class for her first time, completely froze and gave up, and everyone including the investigators were understanding and supportive and helped her to get back up again and teach the last few minutes of class. I missed out on the first hour of primary and was a little worried walking in for the last hour. The teachers, all on their own, had decided to make goodbye presents for the missionaries and were having the kids draw pictures of themselves praying and of our church building.
After church we had our last branch missionary meeting and simply bore testimony to each other of the work, of the gospel, and of the love we had for each other. I could have just died. My heart was overflowing. I felt like my wish had been granted. I realized the power of prayer and was grateful that my desire had been a righteous one.
We have a joke in our district about all of us leaving this place with a khooson tseej, which, roughly translated, means an empty chest, because even if we try to leave, our hearts will remain. I don't know how I'm going to leave this place. This branch and this place felt like home to me as soon as I got here. There are so many people I've told myself I need to keep in touch with that I think I'm just going to be writing emails and sending packages 24/7 as soon as I get back to America. I'm going to make the most of these last 16 days I have here in Selenge and try not to spend the whole time crying.
The only consolation and the only thing that will truly go with me wherever I go is my testimony that this is God's true church on the earth and that God in Heaven speaks to His children today.
See you soon.
-Sister Johnson


1 Comments:
Cheryl, I can't believe it's already been a year and a half! Look me up when you get back. We have lots to catch up on and I want to hear some Mongolian. Best of luck for your next couple of weeks! Love you.
Ashlee Adamson
Post a Comment
<< Home