Sunday, July 08, 2007

July 6, 2007 A Little America in UB - Happy 4th!

Happy Birthdays to: Grandma Muir, Becky B, Audrey P, and America!

Quick quick email today! We're going to the khuduu to this one place where there's a huge pot that they can cook the meat of ten cows in all at once. It’s bound to be exciting.

My companion's release date has been officially moved up to July 18th, and in other such news my official halfway mark was on the 4th! I would say that the mish is just flying by but at this point it feels just about right. Is that okay?

So, what crazy exciting thing did I do last p-day? We celebrated the 4th! On the 29th! As part of a tradition the LDS missionaries were invited to the American community July 4th celebration in UB. There’s a whole neighborhood that’s done up all American-like for embassy people and other Americans working and living in Mongolia. It truly was a bizarre experience to walk through the gate and see all these American style homes with grass and driveways and mailboxes. We ate hot dogs, the children had a parade, and the Mongolian murun khuur band played “Hey Jude” on their traditional Mongolian fiddles. It was everything a 4th of July event should be and more.

I caught Elder Kunz holding an umbrella for the Mongolian sisters in the food line. He was upset, so it was great.
My companion and me! And Sister Soderburgh in the background wearing an awesome hat!
The missionaries. Actually, this is nowhere near all of us. There were about 40 missionaries who came, American and Mongolian alike, including President Bryner who was manning the drinks tent. And yes, I am doing the peace sign in this picture. Gimme a break! I’m in Asia! Peace.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cheryl!!! I hope you still get the comments put on this site. Bret is engaged! For real!

Eloserbeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home