Wednesday, August 08, 2007

August 3, 2007 - Things That Go Bump!

This past Monday Sister Delgermurun and I were doing one of our favorite activities (checking up on inactive members or unknowns from the branch list) in one of the bigger apartment complexes in our area. We had just finished checking one apartment and got in the elevator. I pushed the button to go down to the first floor (we were on the fifth) and the next thing I knew my teeth and my feet really hurt. After a few seconds of pondering what that meant I realized that we had just dropped a couple feet and the elevator was now on the 4 ¾ floor. My companion promptly started freaking out and slamming herself against the door, yelling for someone to come. Frankly I was more scared of what my companion was doing than what was going to happen next, so I grabbed her, told her to calm down, and asked if we could say a prayer. Within 15 minutes the jijuur had gotten an elevator guy to come, turn a key, open the door and everybody was just fine. Fine, but actually it was really scary.

A couple days later we were going with one of the branch missionaries to teach a lesson and we related our scary elevator story to him, expecting some surprise or sympathy. As soon as we finished, however, he was all like, “Aw, that’s nothing! One time I was stuck in an elevator for 2 hours with my mom and brother. It was great! We sang songs, ate some of the food we just bought. 15 minutes is nothing!” I’m not gonna lie, it kinda crushed my muffin if you know what I mean (if you’re not Brad then no, you probably don’t know what I mean). Anyway, the further I get away from the experience the less scary it seems. The most important part is that we walked away without any serious injury. Oh wait…

I GOT THE TENDONITIS! Yeah, the day after The Elevator my left foot really started hurting. I tried to ignore it for a couple more days but it only got worse. Finally this morning I went in to see Elder Plunkett, the mission doctor. After briefly discussing the foot he sent me down the street to the Yonsei Friendship Hospital to get an x-ray. I’m quite familiar with the x-ray ward of Yonsei, having previously visited them with Sister Hunt when she broke her bugui (That’s a shout out to you, Jessie! Go Mongo!). Nothing was broken, but upon further examination Elder Plunky determined I had done got the tendonitis of da foot from the “stress” I had undergone in the elevator (At least I ain’t got dem coppatones, eh Becky? Got your letter[s], no time to write, but you’re till my hero!). Now I have some drugs and I sweet souvenir x-ray from a Mongolian hospital.

That’s not even the best part! When we stepped in the hospital I was about to hand my little slip from the doc to the front desk guy when I realized it was Bold, one of my bestest investigators from Sukhbaatar! I knew he worked at a hospital, I just didn’t know which one. We didn’t get to talk very much because there were tons of people around but he’s still taking the lessons and he has a baptismal date set. Seeing him really just made my day, and that’s saying a lot seeing as how it’s also the day I found out I have tendonitis. So what do we learn from this? Finding out you have tendonitis is like -5 points, but running into old investigators is like +15! I could find out I have two more illnesses today and still have it be a pretty good day! I’ve always thought tuberculosis sounded like fun…

In other news, I had a very important turning point this past week. Up until this point I’ve been fairly infatuated with Mongolian music of any kind. Of course it’s just a casual infatuation, seeing as how I only hear it in taxis or on buses, but finally this past week this one pop song came on and I said to myself, “Oh no, not this song again.” Then I realized, “Wait a minute, Mongolian pop music is annoying to me now! I’m a native! I’m sick of Javkhlan! Yay!” After 7 months in the country I would like to report that I am no longer a newbie, ladies and gentlemen.

And last but not least, I’ve got two words for all of you: salbariin zugaalga. Oh, wait, you don’t speak Mongolian. Here’s two more words: Branch Picnic. It’s pretty much the biggest event during the year, and it’s tomorrow. We’re going to the khuduu, we’re going to play games, kill a sheep, eat it, and then play some more, and all y’all are jealous! And don’t worry, I’m buying like 5 packs of batteries today so I’m bound to catch a picture or two to share next week.
That’s all for now!

1 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger Navy Blue Cardigan said...

Hi,
I've been lurking for some time now and just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading about your missionary adventures in Mongolia. Keep up the good work, and keep writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home