Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sept 14, 2007 - Baptism - Firm Connection


Here’s a picture of Sister Khorloo from last preparation day. Let me just say, I know how to show the new missionaries a good time in UB. Livin’ in the gurav-duruv does have its perks when it comes to nicer restaurants and such. Still, nothing beats the Mongolian Barbeque when it comes to shakes and things with brownies and ice cream and stuff, tegeed odoo bi neg tsenkher nuudtei amerik khamtragch sanaj baina…

Anyway, enough with the writing in Mongolian. We just had an amazing zone conference on the Holy Ghost the other day. Pretty much in general we members of the church live below our privileges when it comes to receiving revelation on a daily basis from the third member of the godhead. We’ve all received the promise, but are you asking for the guidance of the Holy Ghost in your lives? Are you asking to be led to help someone in need at the start of your day? I can guarantee you that President Monson has that prayer every morning.

Yesterday I got into an interesting debate with a taxi driver of Chinggis vs. Jesus. It was mostly in fun, and the final argument went a little something like this:

“Jesus only had this one tiny little city in the middle of nowhere, but Chinggis conquered half the world!”
“That’s true sir, but Jesus created the world.”
“…”
Boo-yeah.

This past Friday evening was Batzaya’s baptism and lot’s o’ things were going wrong. The Zone leaders came late with the baptismal clothes, the branch missionary who said he was going to give one of the talks didn’t show up, and worst of all Batzaya’s sister, Battsetseg, was supposed to get off work early and come, but she didn’t show up. Also, we had forgotten to tell the branch president the Sunday before to announce her baptism in sacrament meeting, and so there were little to no branch members who showed up. Things were kind of hectic, and Batzaya was really hurt and started to cry a little before the service started. I tried to keep her focused on the baptism and the reason why we were doing all this. The baptism itself went smoothly and she bore a really sweet testimony, but I felt really bad that people hadn’t come, and I felt really responsible for not getting things together better.

As we were milling around after the closing song I noticed a little flurry of activity going on outside the chapel. As we made our way out into the foyer, Batkholboo, our branch president and the very definition of a pocket-rocket, was ushering people into the overflow area where he had pulled together some refreshments and people for a little celebration for Batzaya. He gave her a really nice welcome to the branch and everyone there introduced themselves and gave her their congratulations and by the end of the evening Batzaya was beaming. In short, branch presidents are awesome, even if they are only nadaas neg akh. He really is a “firm connection,” which is the direct translation of his name.


Baptism pic as framed by Elder Child who was really excited that Jesus is pointing to Sister Khorloo’s face. And here’s a classic timer shot with the camera balanced on two stacks of plastic cups and a hymn book. Batkholboo is the little guy on the left in the second row wearing a sweet cowboy shirt. He served his mission in Boise, Idaho.

I really was so grateful to President Batkholboo, so I did the only natural thing and I made some banana muffins for him and his family, and, as one good thing always leads to another, that same day I got a call from him inviting the missionaries to their house for dinner. Warm fuzzies all around. In Sukhbaatar times we stopped in at the branch president’s house almost every single day to teach a lesson or to take refuge from drunk guys or just to say hi and I really grew to love their family. Especially Pujee Mama. Oh Pujee Mama, and the food she makes! Anyway, since I came to Enkhtaivan Branch we hadn’t really spent much time with the branch president and his family, and it was really great to go over and get to know them a little better.


Batkholboo broke out the mission photo album and I got a little too much of an inside look on the stupid things elders do and then take pictures of. He had tons of pictures of every street sign that said “Pearl St,” which is the name of his then girlfriend and now wife. He had a good time reminiscing and flexing his English muscles, and it actually was good to hear words like “Big Judd’s” and “Utard.” I do miss Amer-ka, I ain’t gon’ lie.

We had another return missionary take us out to eat at this crazy fancy Japanese restaurant. It was a little pricey ($8 a person!) but we got to sit on tatami mats in a cool jinkhene Japanese style room and I had teriyaki chicken. I also ate a bunch of unidentifiable pickled tubers and vegetables and such and I was reminded of how grateful I was that I’m serving in Mongolia and not Japan. Before I got my call I had thought my experience with Japanese meant that I was sure to be called to Japan. The Lord really looks out for us, though. Now instead of dealing with salty, pickled things and seafood, I’ve get various fermented milk products and sheep to deal with. That may come across as sarcastic (it’s difficult to maintain any tone of voice with a keyboard), but I really consider it a blessing. I can handle the milk and the sheep.

Anyway, ah! Times up. I gots ta jet. Shout out back to Allison Mathis! Catch you later, skater!

1 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home